Biscuit test

So learning more about creating exceptional BBQ, I came across something called a "biscuit test".  In short, you can find the hot spots on your smoker by smoking uncooked biscuits and looking at the color variations.  Here is how mine performed:

Loading them up:
Notice the even color across the top- that is GREAT!!!!  Plus one point for the reverse flow!!!

As I was taking them off, I noticed the bottom of the biscuits were significantly more browned than the tops .
So I loaded a second round:
Then I flipped them and this is what I had:
Put closer together for easier color comparison:
So my lessons learned:
1) I'm getting really consistent temperature coverage across the top- no real hot spots.  YAY!
2) It cooks hotter from the bottom than the top.  That means I need to cook my briskets fat side down.
3) It's hotter closer to the firebox as shown by the darker browning... not a lot different, but still hotter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Version 2.0 released

I love the grill more than the smoker