I love the grill more than the smoker

So the smoker was working nearly flawlessly now, but you don't often see smoked hamburgers- and it's even more uncommon to see smoked steak.  There are simply some things that must be grilled.  I knew I wanted the grill to be large.  One of my previous (retired) grills let me cook 32 burgers at a time and it was great!   I wanted the ability back to cook a LOT of burgers at once.  I also knew that controlling temp on a charcoal grill can be harder than a gas grill- but this rig is going to be "a naturale"... No gas here!  After hours and hours of research, the best design I could find was a Santa Maria style/Argentine style grill with some tiny modifications/enhancements.  This style of grills has a wheel that turns and lifts the grill surface away from the heat source if needed.   We planned for a drop front to allow easy access to coals too.  This lets me easily move coals from the firebox to the grill, or from the grill to the firebox. I ordered the parts from Amazon, bought a tractor steering wheel.  Finally, we used bulldozer blades for the sides.  Not only are they insanely heavy so they'll be there long after the trailer rusts away, but they have holes in the side that allows for ample air flow to my charcoal pit for grilling.  Plans made, next step was building it.  When we got done, I realized I love that grill more than the smoker!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Version 2.0 released

Biscuit test